Parution : Christian Lange, “Locating Hell in Islamic Traditions”, Brill, novembre 2015.
Christian Lange, Locating Hell in Islamic Traditions, Brill, novembre 2015.
Islam is often seen as a religious tradition in which hell does not play a particularly prominent role. This volume challenges this hackneyed view. Locating Hell in Islamic Traditions is the first book-length analytic study of the Muslim hell. It maps out a broad spectrum of Islamic attitudes toward hell, from the Quranic vision(s) of hell to the pious cultivation of the fear of the afterlife, theological speculations, metaphorical and psychological understandings, and the modern transformations of hell.
Contributors: Frederick Colby, Daniel de Smet, Christiane Gruber, Jon Hoover, Mohammad Hassan Khalil, Christian Lange, Christopher Melchert, Simon O’Meara, Samuela Pagani, Tommaso Tesei, Roberto Tottoli, Wim Raven, and Richard van Leeuwen.
Table of contents
List of abbreviations
Part I: Quranic netherworlds
2. The barzakh and the intermediate state of the dead in the Quran
3. From space to place: The Quranic infernalization of the jinn
4. Revisiting hell’s angels in the Quran
Part II: Hell in early and medieval Islam
5. Locating hell in early renunciant literature
6. Fire in the upper heavens: Locating hell in Middle Period narratives of Muḥammad’s Ascension
7. Hell in popular Muslim imagination: The anonymous Kitāb al-ʿAẓama
Mohammad Hassan Khalil
9. Ibn ʿArabī, Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyya, and the political functions of punishment in Islamic hell
10. Withholding judgment on Islamic universalism: Ibn al-Wazīr (d. 840/1436) on the duration and purpose of hell-fire
Part IV: Varieties of hell in Islamic traditions
11. Ismaʿili-Shiʿi visions of hell: From the “spiritual” torment of the Fatimids to the Ṭayyibī rock of Sijjīn
Daniel de Smet
12. The Morisco hell: The significance and relevance of the Aljamiado texts for Muslim eschatology and Islamic literature
13. Curse signs: The artful rhetoric of hell in Safavid Iran
14. Literature and religious controversy: The vision of hell in Jamīl Ṣidqī al-Zahāwī’s Thawra fī l-jaḥīm
Richard van Leeuwen
List of contributors