Research assistant in Arabic historiography
Last application date
November 15 , 2018 17:00
LW21 – Department of Languages and Cultures
Limited duration: max. 36 months
MA in Arabic, Islamic Studies, (Middle East) History, Arabic Literature, Arabic linguistics, or equivalent
The ERC-Consolidator Grant Project ‘The Mamlukisation of the Mamluk Sultanate – II: historiography, political order and state formation in fifteenth century Egypt and Syria (MMS-II)” (2017-21) endeavours to offer the first comprehensive survey and collective historical interpretation of the diverse and voluminous range of Arabic historiographical texts that were produced in the Syro-Egyptian Mamluk Sultanate between 1410 and 1470 and that have continued to define historical imaginations to this very day. (see http://www.mamluk.ugent.be/MMS_II
for more details).
MMS-II offers one position as a parttime research assistant (0,5 FTE) to assist the PI and the MMS-II team in the creation of a reference and research dataplatform consisting of a digital corpus of more than 80 Arabic historiographical texts and their metadata from the period 1410-1470 CE. This is an important component of the first stage of the MMS-II project, which has been in preparation since 2017.
The selected research assistant will be expected to:
– collect textual metadata
– follow-up the digitisation of texts
– prepare the digital text corpus for historical and textual analyses
– participate in the activities of the MMS-II team
Profile of the candidate
- The candidate should have an MA in the ﬁeld of Arabic, Islamic Studies, (Middle East) History, Arabic Literature, Arabic Linguistics, or equivalent
- The candidate should have a strong interest in the study of Arabic historiography, Islamic history, and/or Arabic socio-linguistics.
- The candidate should have experience, or a clearly demonstrated interest, in digital humanities and corpus building (stemming, lemmatization, part-of-speech tagging, named entity tagging, …)
- The candidate should be able to work independently and at the same time be a team player
We offer a temporary halftime contract as research assistant (max. 36 months, 0,5 FTE), starting 1 January 2019 at earliest, and ending 31 December 2021.
How to apply
Please send your CV, a cover letter with a short motivation and a statement of interest, and the names and details of two referees (no reference letters !)
Applications can be submitted by email to email@example.com
only; the three components of the application (CV, letter, names of referees) should be combined in one PDF file.
Deadline: November 15, 2018, 5 pm.
Attention: Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a skype/facetime/… interview shortly after 15 November 2018.