Post-doc (arabisant) : 3 à 5 ans à partir de janvier 2019, Munich (date limite : 1 sept. 2018)
Candidature pour un Post-doctorat :
A post-doctoral position (3-5 years) for an Arabist for preparing a critical edition of Ptolemy’s Almagest
The Project Ptolemaeus Arabus et Latinus (PAL) is dedicated to the edition and study of the Arabic and Latin versions of Ptolemy’s astronomical and astrological works and related material. These include works by Ptolemy or attributed to him, commentaries thereupon and other texts that are of immediate relevance to understanding Ptolemy’s heritage in the Middle Ages and the early modern period up to 1700 A.D.
The Project is hosted by the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities in Munich for a period of 25 years from 2013 to 2037. It is supervised by Prof. Dr. Dag Nikolaus Hasse (University of Würzburg) and carried out by five scholars, namely two research leaders, Dr. David Juste and Dr. Benno van Dalen, two post-doctoral researchers and one doctoral student.
Date limite : 1er septembre 2018
Applications are open for a post-doctoral position (no age limit):
- A full-time position for a period of 3 years, with possible extension up to 5 years pending positive evaluation and budget leeway. The position is expected to commence on 1 January 2019, or as soon as possible thereafter.
- The monthly salary range is € 4075-5378 liable to deductions for tax, social security benefits and retirement provisions. The salary will be dependent on relevant academic experience (German pay scale TV-L E13).
- The postdoctoral researcher will have office facilities at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities in Munich, together with the other Project members, and is expected to work there full time. The contract will be with the University of Würzburg. The first 6 months of the contract are a probation period.
- Qualifications and skills: applicants must hold a PhD in an area relevant to the Project, have an excellent knowledge of Arabic philology as well as experience with manuscripts and editing Arabic texts, an excellent command of written and spoken English (the primary language of the Project) and, preferably, research experience in line with PAL objectives, in particular in the history of science. Knowledge of Greek is an advantage.
- The successful candidate is expected to be an active member of the research team and to take part in the various aspects of the Project. His main task will be to prepare a critical edition of Ptolemy’s Almagest in the Arabic translation by Isḥāq ibn Ḥunayn. Other tasks include collaborative work on the Catalogue of Arabic Ptolemaic manuscripts and the transcription of further Arabic Ptolemaic texts to be published online (see the Project Outline, §§ 3 and 4.2). These additional tasks are expected to take up no more than 25% of the working time of the postdoctoral researcher.
- The successful candidate should agree to publish the result of their work in the PAL book series (Brepols) and on the PAL web interface. All contributions by members of the research team are published under their own name, and authorship is duly acknowledged in every collaborative output, including online publications.
- Applications should be sent in English to Prof. Dr. Dag Nikolaus Hasse by email (applications <AT> ptolemaeus.badw.de) no later than 1 September 2018. Applications should include a complete CV with a list of publications; a letter of motivation, in which the applicant is asked to address the above description and qualifications and to propose a starting date if different from 1 January 2019; and the names and contact details of two academic referees who may be contacted by the Project leaders.
Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged.
The outcome of all applications will be notified by email as soon as decision is made.
Short-listed applicants may be invited to an on-campus, phone or Skype interview.
Information on the Project, including the Project Outline, can be found on our website (http://ptolemaeus.badw.de). For further enquiries, please contact Benno van Dalen (bvdalen <AT> ptolemaeus.badw.de).
Source : http://ptolemaeus.badw.de/jobs