Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Gulf Studies (limite : 24/04/ 2018).
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Gulf Studies
University of Exeter – College of Social Sciences and International Studies, Institute of Arabic and Islamic Studies
|Salary:||£34,520 to £42,418 on Grade F, depending on qualifications and experience|
|Placed on:||23rd March 2018|
|Closes:||24th April 2018|
|★ View Employer Profile|
The Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies has the strongest REF2014 results of any Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies department in the UK, establishing Exeter as the leader in the field in terms of research quality, impact and environment. Our international profile as a pioneering and multidisciplinary Institute continues to grow.
This new full-time position is available immediately on a fixed term basis until September 2020.
We are seeking to recruit one postdoctoral researcher to assist in the delivery of an exciting new strategy for Gulf Studies at Exeter. In this role you will contribute to further enhancing the research profile of the Centre for Gulf Studies and of the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies.
You will have:
- A PhD or equivalent in Middle East Studies, History, Politics, Sociology, Anthropology, Gender Studies, Critical Studies or related fields and have an independent, internationally-recognised research programme in a relevant active field of research of the Centre for Gulf Studies;
- A strong record in attracting funding for research, or a demonstrable potential to attract such funding;
- An active approach to inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary research that will help to foster interactions and links both within the University and externally;
- A strong potential for involvement in projects which develop impact;
- (Highly desirable) Experience of fieldwork in the Gulf and/or the Arabian Peninsula;
- (Highly desirable) Linguistic proficiency in Arabic and/or other relevant languages.
Please ensure you read our Job Description and Person Specification for full details of this role.
What we can offer you
- Freedom (and the support) to pursue your intellectual interests and to work creatively across disciplines to produce internationally exciting research;
- Support teams that understand the University wide research and teaching goals and partner with our academics accordingly
- An Innovation, Impact and Business directorate that works closely with our academics providing specialist support for external engagement and development
- Our Exeter Academic initiative supporting high performing academics to achieve their potential and develop their career
- A beautiful campus set in the heart of stunning Devon.
The University of Exeter is a member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities. We combine world-class teaching with world-class research, and have achieved a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework Award 2017. The University of Exeter has over 22,000 students and 4600 staff from 180 different countries and has been rated the WhatUni2017 International Student Choice. Our research focuses on some of the most fundamental issues facing humankind today, with 98% of our research rated as being of international quality in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework. We encourage proactive engagement with industry, business and community partners to enhance the impact of research and education and improve the employability of our students.
Informal enquiries can be made to Dr Marc Valeri, (01392 724027) or email M.Valeri@ex.ac.uk. You may also wish to visit our web site at (http://socialsciences.exeter.ac.uk/iais/) for further details of the College.
The University of Exeter is an equal opportunity employer. We are officially recognised as a Disability Confident employer, an Athena Swan accredited institution and a Stonewall Diversity Champion. Whilst all applicants will be judged on merit alone, we particularly welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the workforce